Société Logique

Additional Information

Finding Accessible Housing

Accessible or adapted apartments and houses are rare and difficult to find. There are many people with disabilities but they are hard to reach at the right time when something comes up. The secret to matching supply with demand is to share information!

Finding a universally accessible dwelling… or a tenant with a disability!

Whether you are a person with a disability looking for an apartment or house, or an owner wishing to rent your adapted or accessible home to a person who needs it, you can contact an organization providing housing info services in Québec.

In the Québec City region:

  • Service Info-BLAC (Housing and accessible dwelling bank)
    418 523-9256
  • Bureau d'animation et d'information logement du Québec Métropolitain (BAIL)
    418 523-6177
  • Le comité d'action des personnes vivant des situations de handicap (CAPVISH)
    418 523-3065
  • Comité logement d'aide aux locataires
    418 651-0979

In the Mauricie region:

In the Montérégie region:

In the Central Québec region:

In the Montréal, Laval and North Shore regions:

In the Lanaudière region:

  • Table de concertation régionale des associations de personnes handicapées de Lanaudière (TCRAPHL)
    450 755-1488

If you are an owner and the aforementioned organizations were not able to help you

Contact the local CLSC in your neighbourhood. The Community Support Staff (home support, occupational therapy) know a large number of the people with disabilities in the neighbourhood. Your dwelling may be available just in time for someone experiencing difficulties in their own home or wanting to move into an adapted unit!

You can also contact the Physical Rehabilitation Centres in your region. A good number of people with disabilities request external or in-home services. Their needs and difficulties are known.

If you are a person with a disability and you are leaving an adapted or accessible dwelling… tell others!

Tell the building owner about the resources available to her or him so that they can re-rent the dwelling to someone with a disability. Tell the CLSC that your dwelling will be available. And finally, talk to you peers: community organizations, specialized transportation, rehabilitation centres, etc. You might just put a smile on the face of someone who has been waiting for a very long time!

If you are a person with a disability and you are looking for communal or social housing: register!

A coop building is being built nearby… Do you want to live there? People interested in living in social, funded and/or affordable housing must put their name on a waiting list managed by social, funded and / or affordable housing organizations and developers. Don't forget to do this a long time in advance to have access to a new construction.

These lists allow social, funded and / or affordable housing organizations and developers to find out about the needs of a particular neighbourhood and to create housing projects that meet these needs. These lists are also used for rental purposes once a housing project is complete.

By putting your name on such a list, you communicate to organizations and developers that there is a need for accessible or adapted housing in your neighbourhood. Over time, it will be easier to convince them to build this type of housing. The more housing that is built, the better off your chances of being able to live in one of the units.

Do it for you and your community!